incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Integration of my chart features
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 03:49:59 GMT
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> If Regina has the right to submit the patches anywhere of her choosing, it seems to me
that her submitting them here is automatically covered by her iCLA, no matter what equivalent
statement she has made to the TDF (where the equivalent of an iCLA is an e-mail declaration).

> I agree, it is generally not prudent for us to assume that it is all right to make our
own patches from commits made to LO.  So long as the LO commits identify Regina as the committer
or as the submitter, and she has explicitly contributed them to us here, as in the note to
Armin, that should connect all of the dots.  The ceremony about asserting ALv2 licensing
is what someone who has no iCLA would be expected to do.  It seems very redundant in this
case.  No harm, just redundant.

Show me where she has stated that they are contributed to Apache?  I
don't see it.   What I do see is this:

"in LibreOffice 3.5 some chart features which I have written are
integrated. See
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.5#Calc items Cubic
Spline, B-Spline, data point markers, and standard palette.

I hope you agree, that they should go into AOO too. When can this happen?"

and then in the later post:

"I have listed the relevant LO commits below. Is it possible to use
that directly? If not, you can at least have look, what they contain."

I don't think that is sufficient.  Do you?  We don't need high
ceremony.  But if the patch is not going to the mailing list or
Bugzilla, then we do need a simple declarative statement along the
lines of "I contribute X to Apache".   As you say, the fact she signed
the ICLA makes the license clear.  But I don't see a clear statement
that this code is actually contributed to Apache.

Going back to the language of the ICLA, where it says:

""Contribution" shall mean any original work of authorship,
including any modifications or additions to an existing work, that
is intentionally submitted by You to the Foundation for inclusion
in, or documentation of, any of the products owned or managed by
the Foundation (the "Work"). For the purposes of this definition,
"submitted" means any form of electronic, verbal, or written
communication sent to the Foundation or its representatives,
including but not limited to communication on electronic mailing
lists, source code control systems, and issue tracking systems that
are managed by, or on behalf of, the Foundation for the purpose of
discussing and improving the Work, but excluding communication that
is conspicuously marked or otherwise designated in writing by You
as "Not a Contribution.""

I don't see a contribution here.  Do you?  I see a discussion about a
contribution, certainly, and questions about whether a contribution
would be welcome, but I don't see anything that has been
"intentionally submitted".

I'd urge us to take the extra effort to take this one millimeter
further and actually have this be a contribution.

Regards,

-Rob