incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logo request for website listing money saving software links
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:43:23 GMT
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2012, at 12:47 PM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>
>> +1 sounds like a good idea
>>
>> Juergen
>>
>> Am Freitag, 17. Februar 2012 schrieb Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
>>> A request has come to the private list, asking permission to use the
>>> logo for a website.
>>>
>>> The request is not very detailed, but it looks like the link would be
>>> directing back to us for a download
>>>
>>> IMHO we would be well served by having two logos:
>>>
>>> 1) One that clearly identifies the AOO product and is used only for
>>> our official websites, authorized releases, etc.    It is like our
>>> corporate seal (if we had one).  It is a mark that indicates the
>>> authenticity of a product of this project, whether a software release,
>>> a website, a press release or whatever.  We want there to be no
>>> confusion that when this logo is used, it vouched for the source of
>>> the item to which the logo is affixed.  The source is the Apache
>>> OpenOffice project.
>>>
>>> 2) One or more other logos, perhaps based on the first, but distinct.
>>> Maybe a "Get Apache OpenOffice" logo, or similar. This would be a
>>> "friend of the project" logo, a "I <heart> AOO" logo, or "Powered by
>>> AOO"or similar that could be used more freely, with the only
>>> requirement  being that the logo must always link to our homepage (or
>>> download page?) and to nothing else.
>
> This is really tthree cases:
>
> a) A Get logo which is used to link to an official version. A website can link to OOo
or AOO downloads.

> The "Get OpenOffice.org" logo at the bottom right corner of the User Forums is an example.
>
> b) An Includes logo which a CD/DVD/packager could indicate a valid release which can
be verified through OOo or AOO.

> c) An Powered by logo to indicate that a repackaged version of AOO is being used.
>

>>> The nice thing about this approach is we can issue a blanket
>>> permission statement on the 2nd logo
>
> There are distinctions to make. Would we care about registering the use of these logos?

IMHO, a good example of an appropriately comprehensive and detailed
trademark policy, that supports their branding, is what the Mozilla
Foundation has:

http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/policy.html

Notice their section on "linking".  No registration required, but
there are conditions/limitations on how the web banners can be used.

-Rob