incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WWW] Feedback/"contact us" about the website link needed...
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:09:15 GMT
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 02/10/2012 07:46 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

>>> Rob--
>>>
>>> I understand what you're saying, believe me. I guess I feel we should
>>> provide an easier avenue for people to report problems with the site
>>> itself. I'm also aware that if I just put in a simple link with a
>>> "mailto"
>>> tag, many folks won't be able to deal with that because they won't have a
>>> "default" e-mail client.
>>>
>>> How about a "Contact Us" link that directs them to our existing "Mailing
>>> List" page --
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/mailing-lists.html.
>>> We could add a bit more description to the "Development Mailing List" to
>>> indicate that it would be used for submitting questions/problems about
>>> the
>>> web site.
>>>

>> If the issue is to give a way for people to report site issues the I'd
>> have text that is focused on that, like "report site problems" or
>> something similar.  A "contact us" link is more likely to be misused
>> for other types of questions.
>>
>> The BZ "www" product can be used to report issues on the website,
>> mailing lists and Bugzilla itself.  So it might be best to point them
>> to that for reporting website issues.
>

> Do you really want to "solve" user problems like "I cannot download AOO. Can
> you help me?" over and over again via a bug tracker? I wouldn't. ;-)
>
> IMHO forget BZ to handle these kind of issues users can report. Better to
> create a FAQ or point to the User's Forums (then to point to already
> existing threads).
>
> FYI:
> We have already an example that I've implemented previously for reporting
> broken download links and that was migrated with the website move:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/all_rc.html
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/all_beta.html
>
> (jump to the bottom to the last section above the footer)

That page says: "Please report any broken link or things you think
that needs to be corrected on this webpage by sending a mail to:
ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org."

I don't think that is what we want.

There is a difference between correcting content or suggesting a
different working on a webpage, and some one trying to download, but
failing.  Errors on webpages, just like errors in the product's code,
should go to BZ.   This is different than user support questions.
There may be cases where the user is not sure which it is.  But there
are many more cases where the user knows it is an error on the page.
Best to just have them report it in BZ.