incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice on Wikipedia
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2012 14:02:14 GMT
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Andre Fischer <af@a-w-f.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently found myself at the english Wikipedia page for "Twip" (a unit of
> length). Nothing unexpected there except the following sentence:
>
>    They are also used in Rich Text Format from Microsoft for platform-
>    independent exchange and they are the base length unit in
>    LibreOffice.
>
> While technically wrong (twip is *a* unit used in Writer but (almost) not in
> the other applications) the exclusive mentioning of LibreOffice caught my
> eye.  The original use of the word OpenOffice.org was changed on June 1st
> 2011 to LibreOffice.

You can see other attempts to write OpenOffice out of history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Kerning&diff=471493120&oldid=459579375

Good tools to find and investigate such issues:

Search Google for: "LibreOffice site:wikipedia.org"

and to find who made the change:

http://wikipedia.ramselehof.de/wikiblame.php

> I don't care much about this replacement on this very page.  I have no plan
> to simply change it back.  I rather wonder how a good and fair solution
> could look like for situations where you want to make a reference to the
> family of OpenOffice suites, both the original and its forks.  When
> searching for the term OpenOffice in the english Wikipedia then I am
> forwarded to OpenOffice.org. There, Apache OpenOffice are the first words in
> the main text.
>
> Could/should there be some sort of a disambiguation page like "OpenOffice
> family" that mentions the different members of the family?

Or even a section in the OpenOffice.org article that lists derivatives
of that code base.