incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sample Files Collection for AOO testing
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:41:13 GMT
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:40 AM, xia zhao <lilyzhao8@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently I am working on sample files collection and category. These sample
> files would be used for AOO 3.4 and further AOO release testing. These
> sample files are major for compatibility, which covers the interoperabilty
> with MS office 2003, MS office 2007/2010 and previous OpenOffice release.
> Now I have had thousands of MS Office sample files and still need more,
> especially old OO documents. If you have some sample files, not
> confiditenal, can share with you, would you like send it back me by mail:
> lilyzhao8@gmail.com? Many thanks!
>
> Sorry I couldn't find one good place to manage these sample files, or
> anyone have idea where we can centralize these sample files for community
> QA volunteers testing?

We could find a place in our subversion repository for test documents.

But even more useful would be a collection of test files with metadata
that explains what they are and how to test them.

For example:

foo.odt is a test file, but then also have foo.txt of foo.xml that has
metadata such as:

1) What application write out the file

2) What is special about the file, what is it showing?  A sample
encrypted document?  An invalid file to see how AOO handles errors?

3) How to test the file?

If we had a set up like that, then we could add some search support,
like:  show me all test documents that were created in OOo 3.3/Mac

Instead of text files, you could also do this via a directory structure:

/test-documents
/test-documents/OOo-31
/test-docuements/OOo31/Mac
/test-docuements/OOo31/Mac/encryption
/test-docuements/OOo31/Mac/encryption/blowfish.odt

Also, it is better if people contribute the test files to an Apache
server, either to the mailing list, subversion or Bugzilla. If they do
that, then they are putting the files under the Apache license.  If
they just send them to you personally, they have not given permission
for the project to use the files.  Also, by having them send the test
files to Apache, the privacy implications are clearer.

In any case, I like your idea.  But I'd recommend that we first first
agree on how we can receive, store and catalog the files.  One we
understand that, then it will be easier to ask users to send us their
files.

-Rob