incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Logo use request for online auction
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:36:26 GMT
The PPMC has received a request from a merchant who wishes to use
OpenOffice.org logo on product photos and listings on an online
auction site.

I'm moving the discussion to ooo-dev, from ooo-private, where the
request was originally made.

In other contexts we have allowed use of the product logo on CD's
containing verbatim copies of our software.  The legacy project has
even encouraged a network of CD distributors who distributed copies of
OOo for a fee.

I don't think the fact that this is an auction site changes anything essential.

So, my inclination would be to give permission, provided:

1) The CD contains unmodified OOo install sets

2) The auction listing acknowledges the OpenOffice.org trademark and
logo as Apache Software Foundation marks, used with permission.

3) The website listing includes a link back to www.openoffice.org

4) Other conditions?

In other words, I see no problem with an online merchant making money
based on distributing CD's, based on their marketing, the convenience
they offer the user, etc., as well as any additional services they
might offer for support, etc.

-Rob