incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for use of funds collected by SPI
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:02:21 GMT
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Wolf Halton <wolf.halton@gmail.com> wrote:
> for quite a while.  They wanted to help the project and their help is
> appreciated.  Now that we are part of the ASF family, we have some
> important choices to make.
>
> First and foremost, we must request SPI to stop their collections
> efforts.  AOO cannot receive the money directly as ASF does that.
> Second, we need to find out how much they have collected so far.
> Third, we need to decide how we would like to use the money they have
> collected.
>          In general, it would make sense to use the funds for holding
> or supporting events, with guidance from the ASF Conference Committee
>
>              travel assistance with guidance from the aptly named
> Travel Assistance Committee
>
>        and possibly marketing with help from the Trademarks Committee
> and Marketing Committee
>
>        We absolutely cannot pay people to develop our software with
> the money, per ASF rules.
> I volunteered to move this forward and I would like your feedback,
> maybe a general poll of what you, the community, would like to do with
> the money.

When OpenOffice.org was collecting the funds, it told contributors
that the funds would be used for certain purposes. You can see the
language that was used here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100105132519/http://contributing.openoffice.org/donate.html

I think we have latitude to use the funds for any purpose that is
listed there, *and* which is also something Apache is able to spend
money on, per charter and per policy.

As you mentioned, we cannot use the funds to pay for developers.  But
the other uses listed there, like travel assistance for conferences,
etc., makes sense to me.

Hopefully, if there is no objection to that general outline, we can go
ahead and transfer the funds.  I think the goal should be to transfer
the lump sum balance to Apache, and them disburse individual payments
from that fund rather than to make individual requests to SPI.  We
should look to get the lump sum, and them use ASF mechanisms for
approving the detailed disbursement plan, and that might occur over a
longer period of time.

Also, when you contact SPI, be sure to thank them for their past
efforts in helping OpenOffice.org collect donations in the US.  They
did a fine job and we are grateful for that work.  But the reason for
using SPI was to enable easier collection of donations from US
residents.  Now that we're at Apache, a US-based non-profit
corporation, this help is no longer needed.

-Rob