incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Symphony documentation for AOO?
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:57:36 GMT
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 4:19 AM, Andre Fischer <af@a-w-f.de> wrote:
> Hi Betsy,
>

> On 17.02.2012 07:16, Jing Bai wrote:
>>
>> Greetings, I am Betsy Bai who leads the ID team in IBM Symphony team.
>> Actually, it is not like that. "The product teams at IBM don't do their
>> own
>> doc."
>

> [...]
>

>> In the future, we would like to promote the WIKI help console to the
>> community if appropriate. Since it is more collaborative, but to make it
>> happen, the file format would be changed into DITA, if anyone is
>> interesting in it, I would like to provide an article on its details.
>

> I would like to hear more about a wiki base help system.  That sounds very
> interesting and seems to fit quite well for an open source project.
>
> Is DITA an open format?

Yes, it is an OASIS Standard, like ODF is.   But instead of being a
generic WYSIWYG format, it has high level support (a vocabulary) for
technical documentation, with special markup to express tasks,
concepts, reference material, etc., as well as support for conditional
processing and inheritance.  So you can mark a paragraph as applying
only to the Linux build, and another paragraph as applying to Windows
only, and then when you publish, you could decide to include one or
the other, or both.

A conceptual overview is here:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-dita1/

-Rob