incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: selling open office
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 18:10:29 GMT
On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM, flamin hotdog
<flamin_hotdog@hotmail.com> wrote:

> hi, i was wondering where you stand on people selling open office. i know of somebody
who is selling open office on ebay for profit.
> thanks andy

A similar question came up on the list last week. My response is here:

http://markmail.org/message/g6viii4ito6hhwim

In summary, the open source license permits selling CD's containing
exact copies of OpenOffice.

Remember, open source is all about the freedoms it gives to users and
to programmers. Everyone has the freedom to download OpenOffice from
our website at no cost.  But you also have the freedom to take the
source code and enhance it and sell your enhancements.  You have the
freedom to sell copies of OpenOffice in conjunction with support
contracts or migration services.  You even have the freedom to sell on
eBay.

-Rob