incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WWW] Feedback/"contact us" about the website link needed...
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 00:46:17 GMT
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just noticing that we do not seem to have a "Contact Us about this
> website" link on either
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/
>
> --or--
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/
>
> A somewhat minor thing I know given our focus at the moment, but...any
> thoughts?
>
> Header area? Footer area? Side bar?
>
> I think a prominent "Contact Us" (some place) would serve us well in
> customer satisfaction.

I'd be very careful here.   We don't have the resources for users to
actually contact us, except in very limited circumstances.  Remember,
we have 100 million users.  When users visit the website they are
typically looking for something, whether a download, or support info,
or something specific.  We're not the kind of website that people
visit just for fun.   So if we put a single contact address in a
prominent location, then lazy users will just shoot off emails to that
address.  We don't be able to handle that load.  And if that address
is a list address, we'll be deluged with private information going to
that list.

A good example of this problem is the bugzilla admin address that
shows up on our BZ page.  Even though it clearly says that is for only
reporting admin issues, we get many support questions to that address.
Ditto for the list owner addresses.  Any email address you put in
front of a user will be used as a life saver and grasped in their
moment of need.

That said, we should make sure we have coverage of the main reasons
people visit the website and have a reasonable way for them to get
what they need.  I think the main page is fine for people looking for
how to download and get support on OpenOffice.  It also has a good
link for people who want to learn more about the project.  The podling
website has specific pages for people who want to use the trademarks,
report a security vulnerability and other topics.  It also has a page
listing all of our mailing lists.

Another way to think of it:  99.99% of the time, if a user actually
needs to contact us, then the website has failed its purpose.  We can
only handle 100 million users if, for the vast majority of cases, they
can self-support themselves via the website's navigation and find what
they want.  So the challenge here is to handle the exceptional 0.01%
of cases, without becoming the path of least resistance for the other
99.99%.

-Rob