incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logo - banner artwork
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 21:57:26 GMT
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Worked on the logo and banner, etc yesterday.
>
> There was a request for something more square and that ended up getting
> me to think about a more squarish layout - so I put together a variant
> of the incubator tag line.
>
> http://lo-portal.us/temp/logo2.png

This is nice, close to square. But for a profile image, we'll need
exactly a square.  I could crop it myself, but it might make sense to
have an authoritative set of images in the standard sizes.

I don't know if you've seen this, but there are some industry-standard
sizes for web banners.  These have evolved by practice and by online
advertisers to standardize things for uniform rates for advertising.
That is not our concern.  But the practical effect is these sizes are
widely supported in blogging software and other web publication
software.  So targeting these sizes (or at least the aspect ratios)
will give us a lot of bang for the buck.  It is like designing a
toothbrush.  Check what size the existing toothbrush handles are and
you're more likely to fit into existing toothbrush holders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Standard_web_banner_ad_sizes.svg

I'd focus on the subset of these that are labeled "core" here:

http://www.iab.net/iab_products_and_industry_services/1421/1443/1452

-Rob