incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Integration of my chart features
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:25:10 GMT
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 4:44 AM, Christian Lohmaier
<cloph@openoffice.org> wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> If Regina were the LO committer or the creator of the patches that were committed,
>
> She is.
> author  Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de>       2011-06-06 17:31:56
(GMT)
> committer        Fridrich Štrba <fridrich.strba@bluewin.ch>     2011-06-06
17:31:56 (GMT)

> author  Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de>       2011-06-23 15:34:43
(GMT)
> committer        Tor Lillqvist <tlillqvist@novell.com>  2011-06-23 15:34:43
(GMT)

> author  Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de>       2011-06-23 15:33:44
(GMT)
> committer        Tor Lillqvist <tlillqvist@novell.com>  2011-06-23 15:43:20
(GMT)

> author  Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de>       2011-06-23 15:34:06
(GMT)
> committer        Tor Lillqvist <tlillqvist@novell.com>  2011-06-23 15:34:06
(GMT)

> author  Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de>       2011-09-09 13:02:34
(GMT)
> committer        Kohei Yoshida <kohei.yoshida@suse.com> 2011-09-20 16:14:13
(GMT)

> author  Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de>       2011-10-27 18:31:52
(GMT)
> committer        Andras Timar <atimar@suse.com> 2011-10-28 08:24:01 (GMT)
>
> author  Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de>       2011-09-02 23:20:54
(GMT)
> committer        Thorsten Behrens <tbehrens@novell.com> 2011-09-02 23:26:09
(GMT)

> author  Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de>       2011-09-28 13:26:36
(GMT)
> committer        Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@suse.com> 2011-09-30 11:13:30
(GMT)

> See the line that begins with "author"? If you want, replace that with
> "creator" to fit your language. The author is the one who wrote the
> code. The committer is the person who added it to the repository.
>
> And if you (more Rob) here doesn't understand a statement like "I
> wrote this and that, here are the commits, will you please integrate
> them" from a person who has signed the ICLA as a contribution, then
> you're acting weird...

A contribution in general needs to address three things:

1) Who is making the contribution

2) What are the contributing

3) What is the license

There is more than one way to make a contribution.  The ICLA defines
one way,  Let's call that an ICLA-contribution.  It covers
contributions made in specific ways by those who have signed the ICLA.
 But it is limited to contributions made to Apache servers, e.g., SVN.
issue trackers, mailing lists, etc.  It does not cover contributions
made on other non-Apache servers.  That doesn't mean that such
contributions are forbidden.  It just means that such contributions
are not under the terms of the ICLA.  In other words, if a person
makes a contribution in a way that is outside of the ICLA definition
of a "contribution" than it is irrelevant that they have signed the
ICLA.  It is out of scope of the ICLA.

We've seen other kinds of contributions as well. For example, when
Oracle granted the base OpenOffice code, this was done via an SGA.
They did not attach the entire repository to a BZ issue or post it to
the mailing list.  They did not even check it into SVN or put it on
any Apache server. But they did identify the specific files they were
granting us, and they were specific on what the license was -- Apache
2.0. We then went to an external, non-Apache server (the legacy OOo Hg
server) and retrieved these files ourselves.

So we're not limited to ICLA-covered contributions.  But we still need
to be clear about the three questions:  Who is contributing?, What
code?, What license?  If you've signed the ICLA and then contribute
the patch to an Apache server, then these questions are already
answered. If you submit an SGA they also already answered.  If you
want to do something else, then it might be perfectly acceptable, but
still need those three questions explicitly addressed.

-Rob