incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: Draft blog post on FreeBSD port of AOO
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 20:22:03 GMT
On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Pedro Giffuni <> wrote:
> On 02/27/12 18:15, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> If Maho approves, I have some suggestions:
>>> To the end of the first paragraph add " Maintaining this new port
>>> in Apache source tree helps improve the overall portability of
>>> the system and provides another valuable testing environment."
>>> The second paragraph, may sound better "FreeBSD is a free operating
>>> system
>>> based on Berkeley's 4.4 BSD source release." Add a last sentence in that
>>> paragraph: "Since the origins of the Internet it has been known to break
>>> ftp
>>> performance records and power important sites like Yahoo, Hotmail and the
>>> ASF infrastructure."
>>> change (old) -->  legacy
>>> Instead of MN and PG -->  maho@ and pfg@
>>> The FreeBSD team did not create fork. -->  The FreeBSD team did not fork.
>>> Perhaps add "In FreeBSD, OpenOffice and LibreOffice porters share their
>>> efforts
>>> in a common mailing list:
>>> The "Notably, Jung-uk Kim ..." line should be moved to the end of the
>>> "Historically," paragraph.
>>> "Technically, porting is not difficult."  -->  "Technically, porting has
>>> not
>>> been very difficult.".
>>> After " ... linux and FreeBSD are very similar", I would add "MacOSX and
>>> FreeBSD also
>>> share many similarities which have helped improve both ports."
>>> I would put that paragraph before the "Since the OpenOffice project
>>> migrated".
>> OK.  I made those changes on the draft.
> It still needs some cross reading to polish the form.
> From my modest South American English I think: it all has to
> be in third person or in first person. but since Maho is signing
> it should probably be in first person.
> It's also important to keep past or present tense consistently
> Please note that when speaking of Hotmail (and Yahoo) I had
> suggested a form making reference to the past: Hotmail was
> bought by MS and they went through the expensive process
> of replacing FreeBSD with Windows. (Apparently they liked it
> so much that they even promised at a point to support .Net
> in FreeBSD.)
>> One thing that is not clear to me is the reference to the "dynamic
>> liner issue".  Would it be worth linking to a bug report or something
>> to explain what this was?
> I don't get that either (perhaps it's dynamic linker?) maybe
> it's just too complex to explain in the blog anyways.

OK.  I made another pass at editing the blog post, cleaning up the
flow and consistency.

One thing I was uncertain of. Do you really want users to report bugs
directly to you and Naho?  Wouldn't it make more sense to send them to
BZ or to a mailing list? From a community development perspective?

> Pedro.

View raw message