incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for AOO test tool
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:17:16 GMT
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 6:55 AM, Ji Yan <yanji.yj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  Recently, I'm thinking about how testing work should be done and what the
> procedure should followed under Apache OO structure. Before OO goes into
> ASF, testing work was controlled by QUASTe and manual test cases stored in
> TCM but both tools were disconnected once Oracle donated OO to Apache. Now,
> it's time for us to think about how can we move on for testing.
>  While within AOO 3.4, we store the manual scripts in wiki page, it's good
> place at this time, but should not be permanent. As it's hard to tell test
> status and collect testing data, also it has no connection with automation
> test tool.

I wonder if Bugzilla would be better than the wiki?

We could create a "product" in BZ for all test cases, with
"components" under that for different test areas, like "performance
test", "smoke test", "detailed test", etc.

One BZ issue per test case.

For each test pass, we simply reset each test case/issue back to "New
state".  We then test each issue.  If the test case passes, then we
mark the BZ issue as closed.  If the test case fails, then we already
have a BZ issue for the developers.

Pro: Makes it very easy to make new test cases from existing BZ
issues, or to make BZ issues from testcases.

Con: Reporting not so good.   Does not handle doing multiple test
passes in parallel.  For example, if we wanted to test AOO 4.0 in
parallel with a maintenance AOO 3.4.1 release.

>  After review some tools, I find the "Test Link"[1], maybe the proper tool
> for us to manage testing work. If anyone has any suggestion on other tools,
> please let me know. The target is to customize and deploy it to OO
> website. I'll move forward with this tool with no objection
>
> [1] http://testlink.sourceforge.net/docs/testLink.php
> --

I tried their demo site.  It was very slow.  Does anyone have
experience with Test Link?

-Rob