incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Committers and Alias.txt
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:51:10 GMT

 The file was recently moved to <https://id.apache.org/info/MailAlias.txt>.

as aliases for their <committerID>@apache.org e-mail address.

> For example, here is one of the entries for my Apache ID:
>
>    orcmid@apache.org,dennis.hamilton@acm.org,member=no
>
> This list is very important for the reliable identification of committers on the Apache
OpenOffice project.  Essentially, the initial association of a committer and their identity
is with the e-mail address supplied on the iCLA submission.  The best authentication for
an established committer is via their use of the Apache User Name/ID.  However, not everyone
is able to send mail using their @apache.org address in the From: entry.

> Any committer communications using any other e-mail addresses will not be authenticated
as being from them unless the alternative e-mail address is provided in an Alias.txt entry.
 (Even then, it involves manual checking of Alias.txt.)

> When committers are established, I refer new committers to the documentation about Alias.txt
and how to add entries for their own aliases.

> I no longer know what that procedure is or where instructions can be found.
>
> Can anyone advise me?

I point new committers to these instructions:

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/developer-faqs.html#ive_just_been_voted_in_as_a_committer__what_do_i_need_to_do

This then refers to:

http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html

Oddly, none of them refer to the mailAlias.txt file.  How did we learn
of it originally when we joined?

-Rob