incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Copyright concerns.
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 03:29:54 GMT
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Michael Halsall <trueblue1878@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there, I would just like to let you know that there are quite a lot of
> people who are selling openoffice.org on ebay and I hope you can report this
> to ebay and stop it as I understand your software is supposed to be free.

I understand the frustration.   But if you look at the license for
legacy versions of OpenOffice.org, which is the LGPL, you see that it
includes the GPL license, where this is allowed:

"4. Conveying Verbatim Copies.

You may convey verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you
receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and
appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice;
keep intact all notices stating that this License and any
non-permissive terms added in accord with section 7 apply to the code;
keep intact all notices of the absence of any warranty; and give all
recipients a copy of this License along with the Program.

You may charge any price or no price for each copy that you convey,
and you may offer support or warranty protection for a fee."

See:  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html

Newer versions of OpenOffice at Apache, starting with 3.4, will have a
different license (Apache 2.0), but selling copies of Apache software
is also not forbidden by the license.

I would be personally upset if someone was able to charge far more
than a reasonable cost for advertising and distribution of a CD
containing OpenOffice, but I don't think that is the job of the
license to prevent.  Competition in eBay will tend to keep the price
down.  If anyone can sell OpenOffice for whatever price they want,
then the price will tend to gravitate to some minimum value.

However, there are two abuses that we should watch for:

1) Anyone who distributes modified versions of OpenOffice that contain
malware, adware,   If we know about these, we have some ability to
stop it.  For example, we can prevent them from using the trademarked
name "OpenOffice" or the OpenOffice logo.

2) Also,  if anyone masquerades as the project, for example, by
picking an eBay user name that would confuse the user into thinking
they were dealing officially with the project, then we would have some
options.

Regards,

-Rob