incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Phillip Rhodes <>
Subject Re: selling open office
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 17:36:22 GMT
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Rob Weir <> wrote:
> But the question is where do we draw the line?

> At one pole, I think we all agree that released versions of AOO,
> approved by the PMC and made available on the Apache mirrors,are
> properly called "Apache OpenOffice".
> I think also, that most of us agree that exactly copies (MD5 hashes
> match, etc.) of these releases may also be referred to as Apache
> OpenOffice, whether distributed via other websites, on CD's, even if
> offered for sale.  This doesn't mean all cases are acceptable.  If I
> form a company called "OpenOffice Direct" and sell CD's of AOO from my
> website and use the AOO logo, then this is a problem.

Indeed.   Just to throw an example scenario out there... I could see
a case where my company (Fogbeam Labs) might want to ship a customized
Apache OpenOffice distro.  In that scenario, my current thinking would be
that it would be called something like "Fogbeam Office" and that somewhere
would live a statement like "Based on Apache OpenOffice" or "Powered By
Apache OpenOffice" etc.   Clarifying the details of that sort of situation would
be of particular interest to me.

View raw message