incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Phillip Rhodes <motley.crue....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: selling open office
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 18:57:23 GMT
On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM, flamin hotdog
<flamin_hotdog@hotmail.com> wrote:

> hi, i was wondering where you stand on people selling open office. i know of somebody
who is selling open office on ebay for profit.
> thanks andy

Generally speaking, it's fine to take the code, compile it into a
binary, and sell it... with or without source code, and under
any terms compatible with the Apache License.  The bigger question, to
me, is what they *call* the thing they sell.  The code
is freely available, but the trademarks and what-not around the name
"OpenOffice.org" and "Apache", etc. are a different
issue.  Somebody selling binaries called "Apache OpenOffice" would, I
think, need explicit permission to use that name (somebody
correct me if I'm wrong).  But selling it as "Bob's Kickass Office
Suite" should be fine.

Phillip Rhodes