incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Wolf Halton <wolf.hal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for use of funds collected by SPI
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:41:55 GMT
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Wolf Halton <wolf.halton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> for quite a while.  They wanted to help the project and their help is
>> appreciated.  Now that we are part of the ASF family, we have some
>> important choices to make.
>>
>> First and foremost, we must request SPI to stop their collections
>> efforts.  AOO cannot receive the money directly as ASF does that.
>> Second, we need to find out how much they have collected so far.
>> Third, we need to decide how we would like to use the money they have
>> collected.
>>          In general, it would make sense to use the funds for holding
>> or supporting events, with guidance from the ASF Conference Committee
>>
>>              travel assistance with guidance from the aptly named
>> Travel Assistance Committee
>>
>>        and possibly marketing with help from the Trademarks Committee
>> and Marketing Committee
>>
>>        We absolutely cannot pay people to develop our software with
>> the money, per ASF rules.
>> I volunteered to move this forward and I would like your feedback,
>> maybe a general poll of what you, the community, would like to do with
>> the money.

Thanks for the link, Rob.  I must have been channeling the page with
my list above, as it is essentially the list on the original page.
:-)

> When OpenOffice.org was collecting the funds, it told contributors
> that the funds would be used for certain purposes. You can see the
> language that was used here:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20100105132519/http://contributing.openoffice.org/donate.html
>
> I think we have latitude to use the funds for any purpose that is
> listed there, *and* which is also something Apache is able to spend
> money on, per charter and per policy.
>
> As you mentioned, we cannot use the funds to pay for developers.  But
> the other uses listed there, like travel assistance for conferences,
> etc., makes sense to me.
>
> Hopefully, if there is no objection to that general outline, we can go
> ahead and transfer the funds.  I think the goal should be to transfer
> the lump sum balance to Apache, and them disburse individual payments
> from that fund rather than to make individual requests to SPI.  We
> should look to get the lump sum, and them use ASF mechanisms for
> approving the detailed disbursement plan, and that might occur over a
> longer period of time.
>
> Also, when you contact SPI, be sure to thank them for their past
> efforts in helping OpenOffice.org collect donations in the US.  They
> did a fine job and we are grateful for that work.  But the reason for
> using SPI was to enable easier collection of donations from US
> residents.  Now that we're at Apache, a US-based non-profit
> corporation, this help is no longer needed.
>
> -Rob
>
>> Once I have some idea of your wishes, I will connect the dots to close
>> this issue.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Wolf Halton
>>
>> --
>> This Apt Has Super Cow Powers - http://sourcefreedom.com
>> Advancing Libraries Together - http://LYRASIS.org

SPI has been very helpful - working in the background, as have so many
other organizations and entities.
I am planning to thank them for all their efforts on our behalf.