incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for use of funds collected by SPI
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:25:41 GMT
On Feb 13, 2012 10:22 AM, "Jean Weber" <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:

> In addition to developers' conferences and an AOO event, IMO an
> important potential use for some of the money is to fund marketing
> expenses such as attendance (and materials for display booths) at
> trade shows where potential customers/users gather. AOO is somewhat
> unique in Apache by having users from the general community, and we
> need to reach them as much as possible.

We tend to leave user relations to those who wish serve them. If the ASF
paid for this kind of marketing it could be argued we are providing more
benefit to those in regions where this work was carried out. As a charity
we cannot do that.

any plan to fund end user marketing needs to be careful about the
boundaries it sets.