incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for use of funds collected by SPI
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2012 10:15:10 GMT
>From my point of view I think it would be very valuable to use this
money to get the developers together for a hackathon type event.

This project is currently populated by a large number of individuals
from a single company and a large number of individuals who probably
feel they are insignificant. On top of that there are people from the
old structure who likely feel disenfranchised. It would be great to
have an event that brought all these people together.

The issue is organising such an event. It's not trivial, there needs
to be sufficient momentum in the community to make it happen. I, as a
member of ComDev and ConCom, and as a mentor of this project, will
help. I have extensive experience of putting events on, of all sizes,
here in the UK. I can also assist those wishing to host in their own
back-yards. But we need commitment from a few PPMC members to be sure
it will work (and to get the backing of ConCom).

I would suggest that the proposal to take to the board and committees
should say that the focus of all activities from this money will be to
get developers together. It is hoped that an AOO meetup will be
organised through (ConCom) with travel assistance available for those
who need it (via TAC). It is not necessary, in my opinion, to commit
to doing an event, but I am happy for you to say you have my
commitment to support it - if we can add a few other PPMC members
names that would be great.

If the PPMC has the energy and wants to turn this into a user focussed
event with a developer event co-located then this would also be good
*but*, be aware that user focussed events are *much* more difficult to
organise. I am *not* volunteering to help with this part of things. I
will (with my ConCom hat) support such an event, but count me out of
the organising team.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)