incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: new member and proposition
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2012 22:42:14 GMT
Dropping all but dev list. No point in cross posting on all the lists.
Reply inline.

On Feb 14, 2012 10:12 PM, "Louis Suárez-Potts" <lsuarezpotts@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sylvain,
>

> On 11 February 2012 10:53, Sylvain DENIS <sylvain.technic@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm a new member and new follower.

Welcome

> >> I work with E.Bachard on the project EducOOo (OpenOffice Education).

Great project!

> That said, as Ross hinted in another post, simply because Apache qua
> Apache does not have, by intention, the same sort of enduser outreach
> as OOo did, does not mean that other friendly collaborative entities
> cannot assume that role, though the "representativeness" of the entity
> would have to be approved by the PPMC, or similar authority, I'd
> guess.

The ASF is a meritocracy, as Louis points out we don't generally have
appointed leadership roles, such as "representative" in our projects.
Instead we encourage anyone, and everyone, to participate on an equal
footing. There is no approval process to speak of. Just do whatever you
think needs to be done, as an individual, and report it here.

Where the outputs of your work are, in the eyes of the community, valuable
contributions they will be adopted. At this point they become official
outputs of the project rather than your individual contributions. In time
consistent contributors become commmitters - they can make direct
contributions to the project.

There is a PPMC as Louis notes. However their function is only to who break
deadlocks, manage legal oversight and resolve community issues. In general
day to day activities the PPMC is unimportant. What is important is people
like you making whatever contribution you feel is appropriate.

If you need pointers to any data our resources I'm sure the community will
be glad to help.

Ross