incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: preparation for our first release
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2012 09:05:49 GMT
Am Samstag, 25. Februar 2012 schrieb Ross Gardler :

> On 25 February 2012 05:36, Rob Weir <rabastus@gmail.com <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > On Feb 24, 2012, at 11:05 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Without commenting on the dates, schedules and technical issues I
> >> would urge you to make sure you allow significant time for IP review
> >> from mentors and the IPMC. I imagine this release will get a great
> >> deal of attention and, almost without a doubt, someone will come up
> >> with something that needs to be addressed.
> >>

> > Mentors and IPMC members have had 8 months to offer IP related
> > comments. They are welcome at any time. But in my experience declaring
> > a Release Candidate is especially effective at concentrating their
> > attention on that task.
>
> Exactly (this is especially true of those who are not formally mentors).
>
> > We should plan on having multiple RC iterations. There are enough
> > unwritten rules related to release requirements that we'll almost
> > certainly need several iterations.
>
> You've been paying attention to recent discussions on
> general@incubator.a.o I see ;-)
>
> Glad to see this is a part of the release planning process.
>
> > But the most effective way to
> > uncover these unwritten rules is by proposing a RC for a release vote.
>
> I would caution against this approach, generally a vote (any vote)
> should only ever be called when you know it will pass. If you call for
> the vote indicating that it is likely to pass because of the process
> followed people are less likely to become involved and dredge up a
> half dozen edge cases as objections.
>
> I happen to be be sat with Nick Burch, during a fashion show in a
> hotel lobby in Sri Lanka believe it or not! Nick is a very experienced
> ASF member who until recently was chair of the POI project, a project
> that has experience of being under the IP microscope (he also hit
> significant problems with the first ODF Toolkit release). He and I
> have been discussing what we believe will be the least painful way of
> getting the first AOO release out. Between us we suggest that you
> invite the IPMC to start the review now in order to attract as many
> interested, but helpful, volunteers as you can. We both feel that by
> inviting some key IPMC members to participate now a stronger, more
> positive vote can be called later. Votes attract attention from many
> more people than requests for assistance.

thanks for sharing such thoughts with the broader community.
I am happy to get so many useful info which is important for our release by
simply using 2 letters "RC" and a potential date.

And I would be even more happy if more people would start pro-active
helping to prepare a release.

I think we can invite the IPMC to take a closer or first look on our next
dev snapshots on Tuesday. I will prepare source release snapshots as well.

I would like to see at least the rules requirements for an Apache release
fulfilled asap to be able to concentrate on the quality.

I will be back in HH on Monday and will work on further preparation towards
a release ;-)

Juergen