incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <>
Subject Re:
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:38:36 GMT
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM, J├╝rgen Lange <> wrote:

> Am 14.02.2012 20:04, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Dave Fisher<>
>>  wrote:
>>> On Feb 14, 2012, at 8:55 AM, Armin Le Grand wrote:
>>>        Hi Wolf and Dave,
>>> We have changed the source code. We have changed the graphics - although
>>> more are coming. We may have developer builds.
>>> We do not have an AOO release. The download button on www.openoffice.orgprovides
the user with 3.3.
>>> IMO we should wait to change the logo until we have the release. If the
>>> consensus is to change now then I think that both the main landing page and
>>> the download pages need some work.
>>>  I think we want to start changing in advance of the release.  Why?
>> Because we want to ensure legacy OOo users are familiar with the new
>> brand.  Otherwise, when we do release, they'll be confused.  I
>> understand your point about legacy users being confused if they start
>> seeing new new brand now.  But that just argues for doing this
>> intelligently.  It does not argue for not doing it yet.  We need to
>> communicate the new brand.
Rob-- This is a good point! We've already used the term "Apache OpenOffice"
elsewhere, so maybe end users are already confused. I would favor
re-branding the web site (as much as we can) soon!

>> So we could have a mini-campaign like " is now Apache
>> OpenOffice".  Blog, announce list, social media, website, etc., do it
>> two weeks before the release is made, say when we have a solid RC
>> ready to vote on (probably not our first RC).   Do it along with an
>> "AOO 3.4 is coming soon" tease.
>>  The plan could be:
>>> (1) Since there is a thread about it. Wait for a final logo treatment
>>> from Drew. If not in the next few days then use the one in the podling site
>>> as a placeholder.
>>> (2) Change the ooo-site header to use the new image. Warning this will
>>> be a "sledgehammer" CMS build, all files are touched.
>>> (3) If we have one, we should add the contact us link / page in the same
>>> commit / build as (2) I think it belongs on the bottom next to "Copyright&
>>>  License".
>>> (4) Rework so the buttons are not so big. Kay has
>>> brought this up in another thread.
Thank you for taking this on...I had planned on in the next day or so...SO
nice that we have the "staging server" to review these kinds of changes.

>>> (5) Rework so that the download experience better
>>> sets user expectations.
>>> I'll play with some ideas for (4) and (5) this week.
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave
>>>  Wolf
> I'm using the term Apache Open Office for a couple of weeks now. It's used
> in a German blog.
> Sincerly, Juergen (another one)

"Follow your bliss."
         -- attributed to Joseph Campbell