incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CODE] update services
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 23:41:40 GMT
2012/2/23 Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>

> On 1/27/12 8:06 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>
>> Hi Jürgen,
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 07:41:58PM +0100, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately I cannot test how this is implemented because the feature

>>> big
>>> missing feature for IP clearance. We have to reimplement the UCP and have
>>> to integrate 3 libs (apr, apr-util and serf) in our buil env. It's mainly
>>> Oliver and Andre who are working on this right now.
>>>

>> As I work in Linux, I managed to do the trick with:
>>
>> * configure --with-system-neon will enable the WebDav content provider
>> * export BUILD_SPECIAL=YES because the update component is not installed
>>   without that env. var. set, vid. scp2/util/makefile.mk:
>>
>> .IF "$(BUILD_SPECIAL)"!=""
>> SCP1FILES += \
>>     module_onlineupdate.par   \
>>     file_onlineupdate.par
>> .ENDIF
>>

>> Side note: that BUILD_SPECIAL adds other stuff. It should be replaced
>> with an --enable-update-service or the like.
>>

> did you have worked on this already?
>

>>  If the update feature is based on the http/WebDAV UCP, we can probably
>>> test
>>> it soon.
>>>

>> yes, it does use WebDAV UCP, the UpdateInformationProvider sends a request
>> as explained in
>> http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/Update_**
>> Notification_Protocol#Request<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol#Request>
>> see
>> /mnt/build/openoffice/apache/**trunk/main/extensions/source/**
>> update/feed/updatefeed.cxx
>> specially the CTOR UpdateInformationProvider::**UpdateInformationProvider
>>
>> /mnt/build/openoffice/apache/**trunk/main/extensions/source/**
>> update/check/updateprotocol.**cxx
>> specially checkForUpdates
>>

> Now where we have the neon replacement in place we should try to bring up
> a working online update service. I think it would be very useful for our
> upcoming release to promote it to our users. A basic version should be
> enough for now to simply inform our users.
>
> Any volunteers to drive this forward?
>
> Juergen

Juergen--

I would not exactly sayy I am volunteering, but I do have some questions
about this. I looked at the spec that was posted on --

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol#Request

specifically, the "Update Document and Feeds" portion. Looking at just the
"simplest possible reply". This, to me, implies that we should have
<inst...> entries for all conceivable platforms etc.  Does anyone know how
this "feed" file was generated in the past?

Conceivably we could of course use "cron" and perl to generate the feed
file, and use it as the URL, but where to get the needed info??? I'll see
if I can contact one of the former distribution folks on this. I've spent
some time thinking about it, but that's as far as I got.

>> Regards

MzK

"Follow your bliss."
         -- attributed to Joseph Campbell