incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CODE] update services
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:40:11 GMT
2012/2/23 J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>

> On 2/24/12 1:03 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>
>> Hi *,
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 03:41:40PM -0800, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>
>>> Now where we have the neon replacement in place we should try to bring up

>>> Juergen--
>>>
>>> I would not exactly sayy I am volunteering, but I do have some questions
>>> about this. I looked at the spec that was posted on --
>>>
>>> http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/Update_**
>>> Notification_Protocol#Request<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol#Request>
>>>
>>> specifically, the "Update Document and Feeds" portion. Looking at just
>>> the
>>> "simplest possible reply". This, to me, implies that we should have
>>> <inst...>  entries for all conceivable platforms etc.  Does anyone know
>>> how
>>> this "feed" file was generated in the past?
>>>
>>> Conceivably we could of course use "cron" and perl to generate the feed
>>> file, and use it as the URL, but where to get the needed info??? I'll see
>>> if I can contact one of the former distribution folks on this. I've spent
>>> some time thinking about it, but that's as far as I got.
>>>

>> My guessing is that this was handled by a web service, and the data was
>> dynamically generated upon the http request.

hmmm...OK. I was thinking more of like a nightly update to the XML feed.
Still we need to investigate where the "inputs" (version, distribution
number, languages,etc.) and how to get to them.

> that is what I am assuming as well. But we can start with a static page if
> that is possible.

Based on Ariel's successes, this should be easy enough. we can use Dave's
suggestion, slightly modified, and put the XML feed at --

www.openoffice.org/updates/check.update
<http://www.openoffice.org/updates/check.html>

or something. (I need to see how the server responds to xml files.)

If someone sends me details, I will be happy to put the feed file together
a la Ariel's --

(simple)

http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/check.Update.win

-- or --