incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: preparation for our first release
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 00:09:04 GMT
2012/2/24 J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>

> Hi,
>
> we move closer forward to our first release.
>
> I would like to suggest that we focus on the following areas next week.
> And I would like to propose the following schedule depending on the
> progress we will make next week.
>

> Monday: Feb. 27th new dev snapshots
> Monday: March 5th first RC candidate (based on the progress next week)
>
> - increase QA work
> - focus on stabilization, means focus on showstopper issues
> - finalize the About dialog information, input for future bug reports
> - online update service

well...a tiny little breakthrough on the update service...

I did the following today--

* reassigned the old update service  ( update36.services.openoffice.org) to
the current web server IP via my /etc/host file

* created a ProductUpdateService directory on www.openoffice.org and dumped
Ariel's atom feed file into the directory with the name check.Update

Now, on my exisiting OOo3.3, when I click "Check for updates", it *gets*
somewhere but of course, my system is expecting an ".rpm" package and not a
tar ball as spec'd in the DL url, so nothing happens. Really I didn't try
to find something reasonable, I just wanted to see if the ideas I had about
re-routing the connection would work.

Bottom line. I think we should have infra also make this DNS change. At
least folks with current "auto upgrades" will not continue to suffer from
NO conenctions AND we now have an place to test/implement the feed,
assuming we can get it in the right format for what we will be releasing
with 3.4.

Thoughts?

ps. I will copy all this to the previous thread/post on the update service
as well.

> - updating building guides in the wiki
>

> - documentation update can be run in parallel and are independent of the
> binary release
> - translation update, we have made minimal UI changes only and we will use
> the 3.4 beta translation that were in place.
>
> Anything else that comes into your minds?
>
> I have started to work on the MacOS building guide and have simplified
> some things (work ongoing).
>
> We need some volunteers who take a look on the other platforms. Especially
> reference to the hg repo should be removed/replaced to our svn repo.
> Information about childworkspaces can be removed because it is not longer
> relevant for us. I would say the focus should be on simplification.
>
> What do others think about it?
>
> Juergen

MzK

"Follow your bliss."