incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WWW] Feedback/"contact us" about the website link needed...
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 17:12:18 GMT
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts
<lsuarezpotts@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> who
> > to contact, etc. (I also know we need to get going with some reasonable
> > analysis tool to tract these down *beforehand* if we can) . I didn't mean
> > for this to be a "user centric" catchall.
> >
> > I can certainly understand the value of a User centric FAQ in this
> regard.
> > And we may even have one!
> >

> >> For issues about the site(s) itself, I think a bottom-of-page link is
> >> fine.  It might go to another web page that refines the contact based on
> >> particular cases (two that should always be prominent and
> straightforward
> >> are for the site and for anything to do with security concerns -- but
> not
> >> directly to ooo-security.).
> >>
> >> With user issues, taking people directly to bugzilla is effectively a
> >> giant FU for ordinary users.  A bullet item that links to how to file a
> bug
> >> and also links directly to bugzilla is good, so experts don't have to do
> >> the drill-down.  (Might need a branch for those needing a bugzilla
> account
> >> too.) [Something like this might help refine the security case as well.]
> >>

> > I think you're right on this one. BZ is too daunting jut to report a link
> > problem unless we can implement a nicer front end to BZ just for these
> > cases. I will be happy to investigate this. We may even be able to do a
> > "proxy login" of some sort.
> >

> >> Then I think there can be explanation that all other support is peer
> >> support from other users and developer volunteers, with some indication
> >> about the options (wiki, forums, web site, mailing-list subscriptions,
> and
> >> bugzilla) and how to search/explore/choose among them.  This would
> probably
> >> be right after something about web site issues and security concerns.
> >>
> >> Third tier on some of these might be FAQ that provide more detail and
> help
> >> users address common concerns.  (I.e., what to do when an AV product
> says
> >> their download is infected, what the project does to ensure the
> integrity
> >> of binaries and how to find those to be confident in them, how to check
> >> their authenticity, etc.  That's been going around lately.)
> >>
> >> Finally, of course, there is always the welcoming of those who might
> want
> >> to themselves contribute to an aspect that is a concern or interest for
> >> them.
> >>

> > yes... :) I hope this is reasonably covered in the revisions to the "Help
> > Wanted" page I made, but, of course, it's an ongoing process.
> >

> >> I suppose I should put myself in this last category, although I am not
> >> prepared to figure out how to work on such a page [set]. Sorry.
> >>
> >>  - Dennis
> >>

> > Thanks for the feedback from everyone, I will investigate options

Hi Louis-- and thanks for this response. For now, I was going to set this
up as a "portal" for dealing with web site issues ONLY -- the link will be
called "Report Problems with the Web Site", taking users to an landing page
that  will initially search for all "issues" in BZ related to the web site,
so the user can see what's already been reported, and optionally, add to an
existing issue or create a new one.

But...it might be a good idea to also include some mention of the "Support"
page  on this intermediate BZ landing/search page. This should take care of
a great portion of the support issues. Good suggestion!

> I volunteer to continue in the role I've grown mossy over.

Thanks. I'm just going to set this up for BZ as previously suggested.

> I also think that IFF we are intending to replicate some of the
> friendly to endusers approach of the old OOo, then we would do well to
> emulate some of the pages we had:
>
> * FAQ on simple things, like where to go with issues *using* OOo and
> also *building* and "developing* it. We already have much of that, so
> this would just be links.
>
> * Support page: I think the old support page can simply, as is already
> being done, be updated and pruned. (Drew is on this, I believe?)
>
> * License  and trademark issues: this was the more difficult one and
> merits for attention, at least for the more difficult questions.
> Others are routine, and we've discussed this already here.
>
> Further along these lines: Even if we are not plunging into minimally
> addressing users (and I think we ought not to shift our shape so to
> max unless we actually want to), we will be dealing with the
> media--professional as well as "citizen" journalists. Having, as we
> had before, a "press kit," done in accordance with Apache, will help
> both us and any member of the fourth estate.
>
> Louis

MzK

"Follow your bliss."
         -- attributed to Joseph Campbell