incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CODE] update services
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 00:10:13 GMT
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/2/23 J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>
>
>> On 2/24/12 1:03 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>>
>>> Hi *,

>>> My guessing is that this was handled by a web service, and the data was
>>> dynamically generated upon the http request.
>>>

> hmmm...OK. I was thinking more of like a nightly update to the XML feed.
> Still we need to investigate where the "inputs" (version, distribution
> number, languages,etc.) and how to get to them.
>

>> that is what I am assuming as well. But we can start with a static page
>> if that is possible.
>>

> Based on Ariel's successes, this should be easy enough. we can use Dave's
> suggestion, slightly modified, and put the XML feed at --
>
> www.openoffice.org/updates/check.update
> <http://www.openoffice.org/updates/check.html>
>
> or something. (I need to see how the server responds to xml files.)
>
> If someone sends me details, I will be happy to put the feed file together
> a la Ariel's --
>
> (simple)
>
> http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/check.Update.win
>
> -- or --
>
> (atom)
>
> http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/check.Update.feed
>
> Which format will we be using?
>

>> Juergen
>>

> --

> MzK
>
> "Follow your bliss."
>          -- attributed to Joseph Campbell

well...a tiny little breakthrough on the update service...

I did the following today--

* reassigned the old update service  ( update36.services.openoffice.org) to
the current web server IP via my /etc/host file

* created a ProductUpdateService directory on www.openoffice.org and dumped
Ariel's atom feed file into the directory with the name check.Update

Now, on my exisiting OOo3.3, when I click "Check for updates", it *gets*
somewhere but of course, my system is expecting an ".rpm" package and not a
tar ball as spec'd in the DL url, so nothing happens. Really I didn't try
to find something reasonable, I just wanted to see if the ideas I had about
re-routing the connection would work.

Bottom line. I think we should have infra also make this DNS change. At
least folks with current "auto upgrades" will not continue to suffer from
NO conenctions AND we now have an place to test/implement the feed,
assuming we can get it in the right format for what we will be releasing
with 3.4.

Thoughts?