incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WWW] Feedback/"contact us" about the website link needed...
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 17:43:01 GMT
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm just noticing that we do not seem to have a "Contact Us about this
> > website" link on either
> >
> > http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/
> >
> > --or--
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org/
> >
> > A somewhat minor thing I know given our focus at the moment, but...any
> > thoughts?
> >
> > Header area? Footer area? Side bar?
> >
> > I think a prominent "Contact Us" (some place) would serve us well in
> > customer satisfaction.
> >

> I'd be very careful here.   We don't have the resources for users to
> actually contact us, except in very limited circumstances.  Remember,
> we have 100 million users.  When users visit the website they are
> typically looking for something, whether a download, or support info,
> or something specific.  We're not the kind of website that people
> visit just for fun.   So if we put a single contact address in a
> prominent location, then lazy users will just shoot off emails to that
> address.  We don't be able to handle that load.  And if that address
> is a list address, we'll be deluged with private information going to
> that list.
>
> A good example of this problem is the bugzilla admin address that
> shows up on our BZ page.  Even though it clearly says that is for only
> reporting admin issues, we get many support questions to that address.
> Ditto for the list owner addresses.  Any email address you put in
> front of a user will be used as a life saver and grasped in their
> moment of need.
>
> That said, we should make sure we have coverage of the main reasons
> people visit the website and have a reasonable way for them to get
> what they need.  I think the main page is fine for people looking for
> how to download and get support on OpenOffice.  It also has a good
> link for people who want to learn more about the project.  The podling
> website has specific pages for people who want to use the trademarks,
> report a security vulnerability and other topics.  It also has a page
> listing all of our mailing lists.
>
> Another way to think of it:  99.99% of the time, if a user actually
> needs to contact us, then the website has failed its purpose.  We can
> only handle 100 million users if, for the vast majority of cases, they
> can self-support themselves via the website's navigation and find what
> they want.  So the challenge here is to handle the exceptional 0.01%
> of cases, without becoming the path of least resistance for the other
> 99.99%.
>
> -Rob

Rob--

I understand what you're saying, believe me. I guess I feel we should
provide an easier avenue for people to report problems with the site
itself. I'm also aware that if I just put in a simple link with a "mailto"
tag, many folks won't be able to deal with that because they won't have a
"default" e-mail client.

How about a "Contact Us" link that directs them to our existing "Mailing
List" page --   http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/mailing-lists.html.
We could add a bit more description to the "Development Mailing List" to
indicate that it would be used for submitting questions/problems about the
web site.

Or do you think it would be best to direct them to BZ?