incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From RGB ES <rgb.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 23:12:18 GMT
2012/2/29 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
> As we approach the first Release Candidate for Apache OpenOffice 3.4,
> it would be wonderful if we could have some more volunteers testing
> the latest dev snapshots builds. Following is some information on what
> this requires, and how you can help.
>
> First, if you have never tested a pre-release product before, know
> that bugs are expected. That is the purpose of testing, to find bugs
> so they can be fixed. Bugs could range from UI glitches, to incorrect
> formatting to crashes or even data corruption.  So you probably don't
> want to use a test build for mission-critical tasks. Of course, I
> assume you have already backed up your important documents.  You do
> have backups, right?  Ideally you can do your testing on a separate
> machine from your main work machine, so if something goes wrong you
> will not interfere with your other work.
>
> The above are all sensible precautions when testing any pre-release
> software product.
>
> If you are ready to test, you can download the latest developer
> snapshot build from this page:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+Snapshots
>
> We could use help verifying the install in all real-world scenarios,
> on clean OS installs, as upgrades to previous versions of OOo and as
> installs on machines where LibreOffice or Symphony are already
> installed.
>
> Once you have installed, launch OpenOffice and look at the Help/About
> box.  If the revision shown there matches the build you installed
> (e..g, "r1293550") then the install was a success. Please send a short
> note to the ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org telling us what platform and
> scenario you installed (fresh install, upgrade, install next to
> LibreOffice, etc.).  This will help us understand what scenarios have
> already been attempted and which have not.
>
> After you have installed, there are three approaches to testing, of
> increasing degrees of formality:
>
> 1) Just use the dev snapshot for your ordinary work, doing your
> ordinary tasks.  When you observe a bug, submit a report on this to
> Bugzilla.
>
> 2) Self-directed testing.  Pick an area of the product that you
> understand well, like printing or text formatting, or slide show
> transitions.  Spend an hour or two trying to exercise that feature in
> all its variations.  If there is a dialog box, try manipulating all of
> its values.  If it is a formatting option, create a document that uses
> all variations.   Try to break it.  Try to think like a bug.
>
> A special area that could use attention is version compatibility.
> Take all of your OpenOffice.org 3.3 documents and open them up on AOO
> 3.4.  Any errors?  Formatting issues?  Crashes? Missing data?   Ditto
> for opening Microsoft Office documents.  Are there any regressions,
> e.g., things that worked in 3.3 but now break in 3.4?  Try it in the
> other direction as well.  If you create a document in AOO 3.4, can it
> [...]

On Linux 64 bits, loaded a ~150 page Writer document with ~50
pictures, 40 of them captioned, ~100 Math objects, all with Linux
Libertine G and Linux Biolinum G fonts with lots of Graphite font
features enabled. No problem.

Then opened a 3 MiB, 320 page Writer document with ~80 captioned
pictures, tons of cross references, smart font features enabled, five
page styles... no problem!

Looking at the Spanish translation, the new strings are not translated
("Math baseline alignment", the new ColorPicker...) but that's
obvious. I can see the following problem (already mentioned on another
thread):

It seems there is a naming problem on the icon sets for Spanish
localization, were I have

Galaxia
Alto contraste
Industrial
Cristal  <---- The problem
Tango

If I switch to English UI, I have

Galaxy
High Contrast
Industrial
Tango
Classic

On the Spanish localization, "Cristal" displays Tango icons while
"Tango" displays Classic icons.

Finally, two old translation problems persists: issues 112063 and 118660

Ricardo