incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: http://www.openoffice.org/
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:58:02 GMT

On Feb 14, 2012, at 8:55 AM, Armin Le Grand wrote:

> 	Hi Wolf and Dave,
>
> On 14.02.2012 17:23, Wolf Halton wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Armin Le Grand<Armin.Le.Grand@me.com>  wrote:
> [..]
>> Hi Armin,
>> Now I understand.  You're right, It should say Apache OpenOffice,
>> since that ended up being the name we chose.  I went and looked at the
>> Hadoop site http://hadoop.apache.org/ where the Apache part of the
>> name is prominent.  Drew made up the logo currently there, I believe.
>> Just changing the logo and maybe a couple of additions to the name in
>> a few text blocks would be good.
>
> Thanks for clarification, and sorry, I just re-checked and indeed I did not mention that
I wanted it to be 'Apache OpenOffice'. Sigh. I'll try to be more clear next time.

> I cannot remember all of that discussion when to change the branding, but wouldn't people
be surprised when we publish an 'Apache OpenOffice 3.4' and they expected an 'OpenOffice.org
3.4' due to the naming conventions on the web pages...? Also we already changed the logos
in the program and the installers, AFAIK.

We have changed the source code. We have changed the graphics - although more are coming.
We may have developer builds.

We do not have an AOO release. The download button on www.openoffice.org provides the user
with OpenOffice.org 3.3.

IMO we should wait to change the logo until we have the release. If the consensus is to change
now then I think that both the main landing page and the download pages need some work.

The plan could be:

(1) Since there is a thread about it. Wait for a final logo treatment from Drew. If not in
the next few days then use the one in the podling site as a placeholder.

(2) Change the ooo-site header to use the new image. Warning this will be a "sledgehammer"
CMS build, all files are touched.

(3) If we have one, we should add the contact us link / page in the same commit / build as
(2) I think it belongs on the bottom next to "Copyright & License".

(4) Rework www.openoffice.org so the buttons are not so big. Kay has brought this up in another
thread.

(5) Rework www.openoffice.org so that the download experience better sets user expectations.

I'll play with some ideas for (4) and (5) this week.

Regards,
Dave