incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Weber <>
Subject Re: Proposal for use of funds collected by SPI
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:17:20 GMT
On 14/02/2012, at 0:25, Ross Gardler <> wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2012 10:22 AM, "Jean Weber" <> wrote:
>> In addition to developers' conferences and an AOO event, IMO an
>> important potential use for some of the money is to fund marketing
>> expenses such as attendance (and materials for display booths) at
>> trade shows where potential customers/users gather. AOO is somewhat
>> unique in Apache by having users from the general community, and we
>> need to reach them as much as possible.
> We tend to leave user relations to those who wish serve them. If the ASF
> paid for this kind of marketing it could be argued we are providing more
> benefit to those in regions where this work was carried out. As a charity
> we cannot do that.
> any plan to fund end user marketing needs to be careful about the
> boundaries it sets.

OK, that leaves a role for Friends of OpenDocument Inc to fund (sponsor) such activities from
the money we raise from sales of printed copies of the user guides. We already provide copies
of the guides themselves for display at booths, upon request. There is at present  around
AUD10,000 in the existing account, which should go quite a way.

Ongoing availability, of course, assumes someone produces user guides for AOO. At this point
it's unclear to me just what is going to happen with AOO user documentation, but that's a
topic for a separate thread.

View raw message