incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Logo request for website listing money saving software links
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:33:54 GMT

On Feb 17, 2012, at 12:47 PM, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:

> +1 sounds like a good idea
>
> Juergen
>
> Am Freitag, 17. Februar 2012 schrieb Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
>> A request has come to the private list, asking permission to use the
>> logo for a website.
>>
>> The request is not very detailed, but it looks like the link would be
>> directing back to us for a download
>>
>> IMHO we would be well served by having two logos:
>>
>> 1) One that clearly identifies the AOO product and is used only for
>> our official websites, authorized releases, etc.    It is like our
>> corporate seal (if we had one).  It is a mark that indicates the
>> authenticity of a product of this project, whether a software release,
>> a website, a press release or whatever.  We want there to be no
>> confusion that when this logo is used, it vouched for the source of
>> the item to which the logo is affixed.  The source is the Apache
>> OpenOffice project.
>>
>> 2) One or more other logos, perhaps based on the first, but distinct.
>> Maybe a "Get Apache OpenOffice" logo, or similar. This would be a
>> "friend of the project" logo, a "I <heart> AOO" logo, or "Powered by
>> AOO"or similar that could be used more freely, with the only
>> requirement  being that the logo must always link to our homepage (or
>> download page?) and to nothing else.

This is really tthree cases:

a) A Get logo which is used to link to an official version. A website can link to OOo or AOO
downloads.

The "Get OpenOffice.org" logo at the bottom right corner of the User Forums is an example.

b) An Includes logo which a CD/DVD/packager could indicate a valid release which can be verified
through OOo or AOO.

c) An Powered by logo to indicate that a repackaged version of AOO is being used.

>> The nice thing about this approach is we can issue a blanket
>> permission statement on the 2nd logo

There are distinctions to make. Would we care about registering the use of these logos?

Regards,
Dave