incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [CODE]: changed about box
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 22:54:04 GMT
Am 02/29/2012 03:32 PM, schrieb J├╝rgen Schmidt:
> Hi,
>
> i have changed the about dialog box a little bit and would like to get
> your feedback.
>
> I added a new key in the version.ini/versionrc
>
> Revision=<svn_revison_number>
>
> But after some experimenting I don't use this key right now but left it
> in the version file for further references to the underlying revision.
>
> I changed the value of buildid in the version file to
>
> e.g. versionrc
> ###
> buildid=340dev1 (Revision:1294675)
> # instead of
> buildid=340dev1(Build:9586)
> ###

If the space is a real problem, then simple avoid it. I don't see any
problems from the usability point of view.

> The minor.mk includes
> ###
> RSCVERSION=340
> RSCREVISION=340dev1(Build:9586)
> BUILD=9586
> LAST_MINOR=dev1
> SOURCEVERSION=AOO340
> ###
>
> I haven't yet understand completely where the values are used and
> decided to adapt the replacement in scriptitems.pm for now.
>
> Ariel mentioned already some problems on windows if we simply change the
> 4 digit buildid to the svn revision.
>
> In the end I modified my --with-build-version switch and drop the
> revision from here. I like the date and time in the about box. As we
> have seen earlier today with the windows dev snapshot it can be very
> useful to check easy and fast if the correct build were used.

+1

> Ok I also changed the background color of this text field because it
> looked strange before (at least on MacOS).
>
> The result on MacOS can you review here
> http://people.apache.org/~jsc/screenshots/about_dialog.png

I agree with Andrea, indeed a nice work that should become reality.

And to make the text parts copy & paste able would be really helpful.

> More rework on the about box will be done for future versions. But for a
> 3.4 I think it should be ok now.

Right.

> Any opinions?

OOo 3.3 doesn't seem to have a hint to the used license. Neither in the
About dialog nor in the help. So, a hint of the used license would be
good and IMHO a perfect place there. Example:

"Apache OpenOffice is provided under the [Apache License, Version 2.0  |
http://www.apache.org/licenses/] (ALv2)."

Ciao

Marcus