incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Localization process (Re: [RELEASE]: preparation for our first release)
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 20:59:05 GMT
On 27/02/2012 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 27/02/2012 Andre Fischer wrote:
>> It would help me, for example, if you could describe the localization
>> from you POV, like how you down- and later upload data from/to the
>> pootle server. When do you start translation, how do you signal that you
>> have finished translating and the uploaded data is ready for integration?
>
> This is easy and I can answer it too: Sun/Oracle used to prepare the
> data from the sources and uploaded them to a Pootle server; then
> translation teams would operate on the PO files (online or offline)
> before an announced "translation deadline"; at that point, control was
> back in the hands of Sun/Oracle: they used data from the PO files to
> repopulate the SDF files used in the source. But this probably adds
> nothing to what you already know: in other words, the code<->Pootle
> conversions have always been "black boxes" for translation teams.

Actually, the code<->Pootle conversions haven't always been "black
boxes": what I wrote is true for recent years, but before that the
translation teams delivered the sdf files directly, so we went an extra
step, even though not directly to the source code. That process was
managed by Paolo Pozzan, who recently joined the list, so he might
provide some useful insights.

Paolo,
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_for_developers
contains the information we have so far. If you know more about any of
the steps involved, feel free to complete it.

Paolo also has Pootle backups for Italian taken in April 2011, which
means we might compare them to Andre Fischer's files
http://s.apache.org/5YT (thread: http://s.apache.org/k0 ) and see if
that backup is current. Anyway, we didn't update translations after
April 2011, so we surely have the latest data ("we" = "Italian
translation team").

Regards,
   Andrea.