incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: selling open office
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:26:31 GMT
On 02/29/12 11:48, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Pedro Giffuni<pfg@apache.org>  wrote:
>> FWIW;
>>

>> On 02/29/12 07:54, Rob Weir wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't see how this would have helped with Team OOo.  Surely, the
>>> logo issue was only a small part of the problem, a very small part.
>>> Even if we had a "powered by logo", there would have been the other
>>> issues that were entirely irreconcilable with any reasonable Apache or
>>> project trademark policy, such as the name of their organization and
>>> the tenor of their fundraising efforts.  So not a very good example,
>>> IMHO.
>>>
>>> Maybe a better example would be the FreeBSD port?  That does not have
>>> the extraneous issues that we had with TOO.
>>
>> For FreeBSD we will not be rebranding so the idea will be more
>> in the lines of "Apache OpenOffice powered by FreeBSD" and
>> not the other way around.
>>
> But the question is where do we draw the line?
The question is rather for whom you are drawing the line.
I suspect LibreOffice is not interested.

A "powered by" program would be opt in so you have to
ask first who is your target for such a feature and what
advantages will they really gain from it.

I would think that only people adding value to the base AOO
may be interested. FreeBSD will certainly add value to AOO;
we are using updated versions of saxon, Apache commons,
etc, and we are using FreeBSD's native packaging, but nothing
is non-standard in the sense that we may need say we have
diverged from Apache OO.

Someone may want to rename AOO and sell it on Ebay
and we can't force them to adopt the "powered by" logo.
Some resellers may want to use the OpenOffice and/or
Apache name to help sell their product but there are
issues that we should be careful to avoid: such products
are usually plagued with spyware or adware

At this point I would think we should just limit ourselves
to warn users in some visible page that OO is free and
about the  issues people may have if they download it
from a site different from the official repository and it's
mirrors.

Perhaps in preparation for a  "powered by" logo we
should have an official site for resellers and support
companies like Team OO.

Pedro.