incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Draft blog post on FreeBSD port of AOO
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 01:09:07 GMT
On 02/27/12 18:15, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Pedro Giffuni<pfg@apache.org>  wrote:
>> On 02/27/12 13:30, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> This is based on a draft from Maho, with some additional edits from
>>> me.  Please take a look and suggest improvements:
>>>

>>> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=apache_openoffice_has_been_ported
>> If Maho approves, I have some suggestions:
>>
>> To the end of the first paragraph add " Maintaining this new port
>> in Apache source tree helps improve the overall portability of
>> the system and provides another valuable testing environment."
>>
>> The second paragraph, may sound better "FreeBSD is a free operating system
>> based on Berkeley's 4.4 BSD source release." Add a last sentence in that
>> paragraph: "Since the origins of the Internet it has been known to break ftp
>> performance records and power important sites like Yahoo, Hotmail and the
>> ASF infrastructure."
>>
>> change (old) OpenOffice.org -->  legacy OpenOffice.org
>>
>> Instead of MN and PG -->  maho@ and pfg@
>>
>> The FreeBSD team did not create fork. -->  The FreeBSD team did not fork.
>>
>> Perhaps add "In FreeBSD, OpenOffice and LibreOffice porters share their
>> efforts
>> in a common mailing list: office@FreeBSD.org.
>>
>> The "Notably, Jung-uk Kim ..." line should be moved to the end of the
>> "Historically," paragraph.
>>
>> "Technically, porting is not difficult."  -->  "Technically, porting has not
>> been very difficult.".
>> After " ... linux and FreeBSD are very similar", I would add "MacOSX and
>> FreeBSD also
>> share many similarities which have helped improve both ports."
>>
>> I would put that paragraph before the "Since the OpenOffice project
>> migrated".
>>
> OK.  I made those changes on the draft.

It still needs some cross reading to polish the form.

 From my modest South American English I think: it all has to
be in third person or in first person. but since Maho is signing
it should probably be in first person.

It's also important to keep past or present tense consistently
Please note that when speaking of Hotmail (and Yahoo) I had
suggested a form making reference to the past: Hotmail was
bought by MS and they went through the expensive process
of replacing FreeBSD with Windows. (Apparently they liked it
so much that they even promised at a point to support .Net
in FreeBSD.)

> One thing that is not clear to me is the reference to the "dynamic
> liner issue".  Would it be worth linking to a bug report or something
> to explain what this was?
I don't get that either (perhaps it's dynamic linker?) maybe
it's just too complex to explain in the blog anyways.

Pedro.