incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: preparation for our first release
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:05:04 GMT
On 27.02.2012 15:55, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 27/02/2012 Andre Fischer wrote:
>> It would help me, for example, if you could describe the localization
>> from you POV, like how you down- and later upload data from/to the
>> pootle server. When do you start translation, how do you signal that you
>> have finished translating and the uploaded data is ready for integration?
>
> This is easy and I can answer it too: Sun/Oracle used to prepare the
> data from the sources and uploaded them to a Pootle server; then
> translation teams would operate on the PO files (online or offline)
> before an announced "translation deadline"; at that point, control was
> back in the hands of Sun/Oracle: they used data from the PO files to
> repopulate the SDF files used in the source. But this probably adds
> nothing to what you already know: in other words, the code<->Pootle
> conversions have always been "black boxes" for translation teams.

So Sun/Oracle gave signals for both the start and the end of
translation.  I had suspected that.

Would it make sense to make localization a more continuous process?
Like adding a step to the build server to collect new strings daily or
weekly, upload them to the pootle server, and integrate any newly
translated strings?

Regards,
Andre