incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice Extensions Website restored at SourceForge
Date Sat, 25 Feb 2012 12:57:06 GMT
Hi, Ross,
Yes and no.

On 2/25/2012 05:40, Ross Gardler wrote:
> I totally agree that this is "(3) This is /super/ good news" however,
> i request that a little time is taken to properly review the site and
> have the DNS updated appropriately before "and should go out on
> ooo-announce, blogs, et al. I will forward to ooo-users."
I did a cursory review of the site: logged in (worked fine), found my
history, found favorite extension, noticed no ads, and concluded it's
good to go. Already forwarded to ooo-users. Strongly suggest
ooo-announce, /now/!

Thanks to your observation, I see that I should have emphasized the
temporary nature of the URL. I will do a follow-up ASAP, as soon as
we're sure either (a) what the permanent URL will be (same as the old
one?), or (b) where the users can find the new address (web page?).

> I'm not likely to be able to review myself for at least a week. There
> is no need to wait for me to do so, the PPMC is perfectly capable of
> this. However, remember that the approval from the board was
> conditional on there being no advertising on any ASF owned domain
> name. We need to verify that this is the case. I did remind Roberto of
> this condition during development so I have no reason to suspect that
> this is not the case already. I'm just requesting a full review from
> the PPMC before we make public statements.
Roberto asked for feedback. IMHO, we will get better feedback from a
wide range of curious users.

Our audience could use some really good news, and the chance to get
involved, and this is both. ("Surf's up!" This is a big wave, and we
should ride it. Waves don't wait.)

> Of course, if the domain is going to be the official
> domain then this requirement is irrelevant.
> In addition, I'd like to ask the community here to consider how best
> to engage the TDF in the future of this service. I doubt they will be
> comfortable with this service being a main repository for Libre Office
> and I guess that, over time, there will be some extensions that will
> not work in both applications. However I wonder if there is an
> opportunity here to invite the TDF to work with us as we move forwards
> on the extensions service?

> Finally, and most importantly, a big "thank you" to Roberto and the
> team at SF or making this work out for the AOO project.
+1, amen, so mote it be!

> Ross
> On 25 February 2012 08:32, TJ Frazier<>  wrote:
>>>      This is great!
>>>      But I see it is still " repository for Extensions" and
>>> "Get". Shouldn't they be "Apache OpenOffice repository
>>> for Extensions" and "Get Apache OpenOffice"?
>>>      Also, do we have a new logo now?
>> (1) Yes, the re-branding will be needed, but that matter is not urgent.
>> (2) Preserving user logins /is/ urgent, with Kenai-related shutdown possibly
>> as early as March 15.
>> (3) This is /super/ good news, and should go out on ooo-announce, blogs, et
>> al. I will forward to ooo-users.
>> --
>> /tj/

View raw message