incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Removing output trees during the bootstrap step?
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2012 08:38:36 GMT
> a -1 from my side for a new default behavior of the bootstrap script.
> Make it optional, if you want, but please not the default behavior.
>
> As Armin stated the dependencies are now global.

As was pointed out in the meantime they are not really global yet.

> Thus, my trick to "workaround" the "race condition risk" is to perform a
> "build --all --deliver" before the intrinsic build is triggered in order
> to get all "new headers" delivered to the solver.

It is not only existing headers that are a problem but also generated
headers or generated binaries, e.g. see the recent problems in
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1291365 or
the problem with the delzip magic interacting with an svn optimzation,
etc. the build --all --deliver trick doesn't work reliably.

Anyway, since there is much opposition to the idea to default to a clean
build I stop that now. I'll point to this thread though when someone
complains about rotten binaries coming from a "build --all" or when time
is being wasted on hunting non-reproducible problems created by these
binaries.

Herbert