incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Does anyone build AOO under *csh?
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:34:07 GMT
On 21.02.2012 16:59, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> On 02/21/12 10:15, Herbert Duerr wrote:
>>> No objection to your plan but in general I do dislike the excessive
>>> dependence we have on bash. Perhaps you can clean the bash
>>> script too? It doesn't look too bad:
>> [...]
> Aliases were absent from theBourne shell
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourne_shell>, which had the more powerful
> facility of functions. The alias concept was imported intoBourne Again
> Shell <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bash_%28Unix_shell%29>(bash) and
> theKorn shell <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korn_shell>(ksh).
>
> So I think we cannot count on having alias for older bin/sh.

Ah yes, thanks. Reworking the build process to work on all shells is a
goal I don't want to attack though; doing that may be an idea for
volunteers who enjoy getting intimate knowledge of the challenges and
problems of the build process in a huge multi-platform project.

I'd just like to get rid of the script that gets built for *csh out of
the way, as it is in the source root and being named similar to its
counterpart leads to confusion IMHO.

Herbert