incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Does anyone build AOO under *csh?
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:59:14 GMT
On 02/21/12 10:15, Herbert Duerr wrote:
>> No objection to your plan but in general I do dislike the excessive
>> dependence we have on bash. Perhaps you can clean the bash
>> script too? It doesn't look too bad:
>>
>> > checkbashisms FreeBSDAMDEnv.Set.sh
>> script FreeBSDAMDEnv.Set.sh does not appear to have a #! interpreter
>> line
>
> That's easy.
>
>> possible bashism in FreeBSDAMDEnv.Set.sh line 266 (alias):
>> alias mkout="perl $SOLARENV/bin/mkout.pl"
>> possible bashism in FreeBSDAMDEnv.Set.sh line 267 (alias):
>> alias deliver="perl $SOLARENV/bin/deliver.pl"
>> possible bashism in FreeBSDAMDEnv.Set.sh line 268 (alias):
>> alias build="perl $SOLARENV/bin/build.pl"
>> possible bashism in FreeBSDAMDEnv.Set.sh line 269 (alias):
>> alias build_client="perl $SOLARENV/bin/build_client.pl"
>> possible bashism in FreeBSDAMDEnv.Set.sh line 270 (alias):
>> alias zipdep="perl $SOLARENV/bin/zipdep.pl"
>> possible bashism in FreeBSDAMDEnv.Set.sh line 271 (alias):
>> alias nmake="dmake"
>
> What is the problem with these alias commands? Of course the *csh
> equivalents would omit the equal sign, but do any non-csh shells have
> a different syntax here?
>
> Herbert

According to Wikipedia:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_%28command>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_(command)

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_%28command%29>

Aliases were absent from theBourne shell
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourne_shell>, which had the more powerful
facility of functions. The alias concept was imported intoBourne Again
Shell <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bash_%28Unix_shell%29>(bash) and
theKorn shell <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korn_shell>(ksh).

___

So I think we cannot count on having alias for older bin/sh.

FWIW, the checkbashisms script (from sourceforge) is very cool
but not without flaws: some shells do support some bashisms,
and in the case of fetch_tarballs.sh, which is clean now, it appears
the Solaris shell still doesn't like it.

cheers,

Pedro.