incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logo use request for online auction
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:26:32 GMT
On 16/02/2012 Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> [requirements for approval]
>> 1) The CD contains unmodified OOo install sets
>> 2) The auction listing acknowledges the OpenOffice.org trademark and
>> logo as Apache Software Foundation marks, used with permission.

I would complete this condition with a statement saying that the seller
is not affiliated with the Apache Software Foundation, to distinguish
this sale from any official merchandising activities Apache might want
to organize in future (I'm not saying Apache should or shouldn't
organize such activities, and discussing it would be out of scope now).

>> 3) The website listing includes a link back to www.openoffice.org
>> 4) Other conditions?
>
> Statement that OOo can be downlaoded for free

I absolutely agree on this...

> and that whatever price
> is for the Media/Shipping/additional stuff that is on the CD.

... but not on this one: once the customer has been informed that he
could download the suite for free, I see no reasons to justify the price
in some way; redistributing "either gratis or for a fee" is a right
granted by the license, so the seller could perfectly impose a fee
without justifying it.

Regards,
   Andrea.