incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: my build breaks in libxslt
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2012 01:33:38 GMT
Hi Dennis;

On 02/18/12 19:06, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Last week I received the MSDN Membership offer for Apache Committers.  It is an MSDN
Ultimate, which is surprising and far more than I can use.  The current interest on MSDN is
in Visual Studio 2010 and the 2011 upgrades for Azure, WindowsPhone, etc.  But older versions
can be downloaded.

I guess we ran out of excuses to provide a port for Windows Phone,
except for actually *having* one ;).

> (My first use was to download an ISO image of FrontPage 2003 to replace the one I managed
to discard by mistake and lost when I upgraded some of my computers.  No matter what folks
said about FrontPage, I still love the web-site development process it allows me to continue
to use, an easier and older model that predates the complex Apache CMS equivalent.)

> I will not upgrade beyond Visual Studio Express editions, however.  I want to be certain
that anything I create can also be built by anyone using only tools that are available without
charge.

We have buildbots for cygwin and a lot of people test with gcc. I
would like to encourage commiters to use the commercial toolkits
if they can: it really helps for portability and the extra information
that MS provides is helpful in many ways.

Pedro.