incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Reminder: Not all list posts are from list subscribers
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 14:00:28 GMT
On 2012-02-16 8:41 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 02:06:56PM -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
>> You is welcome to scrutinize your mail headers with a hex editor if
>> that is your thing.
>
> That's why I said a "decent MUA"... In mutt, for example, all you have
> to do is add to your ~/.muttrc two lines:

Where MUA = Mail User Agent, i.e. the actual program that you use to
read your emails - like Thunderbird, Outlook, GMail (really, the browser
you use to open gmail.com), etc.

> unignore "Delivered-To: moderator for"
> color header    brightred   color233    '^delivered-to: moderator for'
>
> and you see the header in a color impossible to miss its moderated:
> http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/mutt-moderated.png
>
> It's not rocket science to use a "decent MUA".
>
> Regards

Indeed - for folks who use Thunderbird (like I do), I posted
instructions on how to setup mail filters based on headers.

   http://markmail.org/message/katmtejfsx5xomvo

Given the broad reach (both users and developers) and new community
around AOO, it would be awesome to post a page on the AOO site with tips
on how to manage mail subscriptions at Apache.  Some projects have tips
like this, but they're normally developer-focused, and the average user
probably has no clue what a mua is.

Huh.  The Jakarta mailing list guidelines page is a fairly good overview
that's not too technical about list etiquette that might be worth
copying parts of:

   http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html

I don't remember if we have a specific page that details how our ezmlm
sets headers by default (remember, each project may configure various
lists slightly differently), but I wish I had time to crib a list of
some of the important headers, like the discussion here about "moderator
for" (knowing if a post comes from a subscriber will be important in AOO!).

- Shane