incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for AOO test tool
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:09:35 GMT
On 2/17/12 7:42 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Ji Yan,
>
> I don't think the situation is that bad:
>
> Progression through an instance of a test can be handled by comments and managing the
state of the bugzilla issue.

> That may be too crude, and it doesn't deal with the need to automatically populate a
set of open tests for a new release.

> Some better tooling would be useful that didn't have one bugzilla issue per test case.

of course, some tolling can be of big help. And especially when the
format is well defined. A wiki is fine but it requires also high
discipline to keep it well formatted and aligned. Ok Mediawiki would
allow to use tags to aggregate all test cases on one page and
potentially organize them for releases as well with different tags.

I think we should give it a chance and we will see how it fits into our
workflow in the future.

I am sure we will discuss some kind of strategy how we want provide
releases in the future, how often, based on which criteria etc. At least
for me is true that I would like to deliver high quality software that
is enterprise ready from day one of availability. And I think this can
be aligned with a lot of fun and collaboration in a community as well.

> However, a hierarchical management structure is unlikely here.  It is a bit contrary
to the Apache Way.  No design should depend on the existence of "formal" testers.

we all know that and I think the example of Ji Yan can be seen as an
example how a organize release process can look like. Somebody who wants
to help testing, can choose a test, can execute it and report the
results. Another volunteer who feels responsible to provide an overview
on the current status, generate some weekly report where we are.
Everybody can and especially the release manager can use this generated
information to get the necessary information where we are.

Our project is very huge and and everything that we can simplify by some
tooling is good for my point of view.

> However, having a wiki-based map and template for the tests that are needed is a valuable
contribution.  Individuals can indicate in wiki tabulations what tests they are carrying out,
so that there is not unnecessary duplication (and if result reports are not forthcoming, someone
can communicate an offer to take them on instead).

> So everyone can see the open test items, the closed test items, the test results, and
the ones that have been offered to be done and are not yet reported.

> It should not be difficult to create some sort of simple summary report if that is called
for.

why not simply using existing tools who can do that out of the box.

> This can all be done on a wiki page too, since links to attachments are supported and
it is possible to process the markdown for tables in scripts.

yes it can but it has to be done

> Creation of new test sequences against subsequent release candidates or milestone builds
should not be difficult to clone onto a new wiki page.

again yes, but it has to be done

I would definitely support the idea to test such a tool

Juergen

>   - Dennis
>
> PS: Some philosophy for work in this kind of project:  It should be possible to accomplish
the work with minimal tooling, so anyone can participate and also support the analysis and
any coordination.  There can be additional automation.  However, a way for folks to operate
with the minimal tooling should remain possible.  It is how there can be sustained expansion
of participation and tolerance of turnover.  The on-ramp for entry-level participation has
to be minimal.  It should be possible to understand what the testing process is, and to contribute,
without having to also master specialized technology.  That's my thinking based on my observations
of Apache OpenOffice so far.  In particular, all structures that are created to facilitate
coordinated work must be designed to work with all-volunteer resources, whether or not some
or many of those willing and able to participate are being compensated for their efforts.