incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Lange>
Subject Re:
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:58:22 GMT
Am 14.02.2012 20:04, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Dave Fisher<>  wrote:
>> On Feb 14, 2012, at 8:55 AM, Armin Le Grand wrote:
>>>        Hi Wolf and Dave,
>>> [..]
>>> Thanks for clarification, and sorry, I just re-checked and indeed I did not mention
that I wanted it to be 'Apache OpenOffice'. Sigh. I'll try to be more clear next time.
>>> I cannot remember all of that discussion when to change the branding, but wouldn't
people be surprised when we publish an 'Apache OpenOffice 3.4' and they expected an '
3.4' due to the naming conventions on the web pages...? Also we already changed the logos
in the program and the installers, AFAIK.
>> We have changed the source code. We have changed the graphics - although more are
coming. We may have developer builds.
>> We do not have an AOO release. The download button on provides
the user with 3.3.
>> IMO we should wait to change the logo until we have the release. If the consensus
is to change now then I think that both the main landing page and the download pages need
some work.
> I think we want to start changing in advance of the release.  Why?
> Because we want to ensure legacy OOo users are familiar with the new
> brand.  Otherwise, when we do release, they'll be confused.  I
> understand your point about legacy users being confused if they start
> seeing new new brand now.  But that just argues for doing this
> intelligently.  It does not argue for not doing it yet.  We need to
> communicate the new brand.
> So we could have a mini-campaign like " is now Apache
> OpenOffice".  Blog, announce list, social media, website, etc., do it
> two weeks before the release is made, say when we have a solid RC
> ready to vote on (probably not our first RC).   Do it along with an
> "AOO 3.4 is coming soon" tease.
>> The plan could be:
>> (1) Since there is a thread about it. Wait for a final logo treatment from Drew.
If not in the next few days then use the one in the podling site as a placeholder.
>> (2) Change the ooo-site header to use the new image. Warning this will be a "sledgehammer"
CMS build, all files are touched.
>> (3) If we have one, we should add the contact us link / page in the same commit /
build as (2) I think it belongs on the bottom next to "Copyright&  License".
>> (4) Rework so the buttons are not so big. Kay has brought this
up in another thread.
>> (5) Rework so that the download experience better sets user expectations.
>> I'll play with some ideas for (4) and (5) this week.
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>> Sincerely,
>>>        Armin
>>> --
>>> ALG
Hi Rob,
I'm using the term Apache Open Office for a couple of weeks now. It's
used in a German blog.
Sincerly, Juergen (another one)