incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Lange ...@juergen-lange.de>
Subject Re: http://www.openoffice.org/
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:58:22 GMT
Am 14.02.2012 20:04, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Dave Fisher<dave2wave@comcast.net>  wrote:
>> On Feb 14, 2012, at 8:55 AM, Armin Le Grand wrote:
>>
>>>        Hi Wolf and Dave,

>>> [..]
>>> Thanks for clarification, and sorry, I just re-checked and indeed I did not mention
that I wanted it to be 'Apache OpenOffice'. Sigh. I'll try to be more clear next time.

>>> I cannot remember all of that discussion when to change the branding, but wouldn't
people be surprised when we publish an 'Apache OpenOffice 3.4' and they expected an 'OpenOffice.org
3.4' due to the naming conventions on the web pages...? Also we already changed the logos
in the program and the installers, AFAIK.
>> We have changed the source code. We have changed the graphics - although more are
coming. We may have developer builds.

>> We do not have an AOO release. The download button on www.openoffice.org provides
the user with OpenOffice.org 3.3.

>> IMO we should wait to change the logo until we have the release. If the consensus
is to change now then I think that both the main landing page and the download pages need
some work.

> I think we want to start changing in advance of the release.  Why?
> Because we want to ensure legacy OOo users are familiar with the new
> brand.  Otherwise, when we do release, they'll be confused.  I
> understand your point about legacy users being confused if they start
> seeing new new brand now.  But that just argues for doing this
> intelligently.  It does not argue for not doing it yet.  We need to
> communicate the new brand.
>
> So we could have a mini-campaign like "OpenOffice.org is now Apache
> OpenOffice".  Blog, announce list, social media, website, etc., do it
> two weeks before the release is made, say when we have a solid RC
> ready to vote on (probably not our first RC).   Do it along with an
> "AOO 3.4 is coming soon" tease.
>
>> The plan could be:
>>
>> (1) Since there is a thread about it. Wait for a final logo treatment from Drew.
If not in the next few days then use the one in the podling site as a placeholder.

>> (2) Change the ooo-site header to use the new image. Warning this will be a "sledgehammer"
CMS build, all files are touched.

>> (3) If we have one, we should add the contact us link / page in the same commit /
build as (2) I think it belongs on the bottom next to "Copyright&  License".

>> (4) Rework www.openoffice.org so the buttons are not so big. Kay has brought this
up in another thread.

>> (5) Rework www.openoffice.org so that the download experience better sets user expectations.
>>
>> I'll play with some ideas for (4) and (5) this week.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave

>>> Sincerely,
>>>        Armin
>>> --
>>> ALG

Hi Rob,
I'm using the term Apache Open Office for a couple of weeks now. It's
used in a German blog.
Sincerly, Juergen (another one)