incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [code] (stax-api) Anyone still uses Java 5?
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 17:01:11 GMT
On 2/13/12 5:48 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> On 02/13/12 11:24, Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Pedro Giffuni<pfg@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hmm...
>>>
>>> On 02/12/12 17:06, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> ...
>>>
>>>> Anyone wants to play a bit with a patch? Alternatively we could just
>>>> leave
>>>> things as they are and drop StaX out of the distribution after
>>>> 3.4-Release.
>>>> +1 for changing after 3.4.
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Rob's message arrived *after* I committed the update.
>>> It's a low risk update though; it helps a bit with the license
>>> clearance issues and the instructions for using the prebuilt
>>> distribution were just too outdated so let's wait to see what
>>> the buildbot thinks about it.
>>>
>> Low risk, but not zero. At the very least, since we've already
>> started a formal QA pass for 3.4, it would be great if any changes
>> made from now on mentioned what, if anything, should be retested.
>> This probably also means that changes should come with a BZ issue
>> where such information is recorded.
>
> In my build, and in the buildbots so far, the impact has been
> zero and I am ready to revert if there is any need, but I see
> your point.
>
> I think we should still update some components: the security
> stuff I mentioned earlier and apache-commons. I can open
> bugzilla items for those. FWIW, I had a look at updating icc
> and Lucene but those are very high risk IMHO.
>> I'm open to arguments that we're not at that point in the 3.4 release
>> cycle yet. But I think at some point we want to engage that level of
>> change discipline.
> We should go further indeed: when we are ready for a release
> we should call a code freeze: I suggest that should be called right
> after the neon replacement is finished. We should probably be
> thinking on branching after that too.

I agree that we should move into a code freeze mode as soon as we have 
the neon replacement. But in general I would strongly suggest that we 
move this kind of changes after the release and focus on bug fixing at 
the moment. Our primary goal should be really to get the 3.4 finished.

Juergen

>
> Pedro.
>
>
>> -Rob
>>
>>> FWIW, I am more worried about some other updates that
>>> should be done for security reasons; nss and libxmlsec,
>>> but I have currently no plans to touch those.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Pedro.
>>>
>


Mime
View raw message