incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Raphael Bircher <rbircher_...@bluewin.ch>
Subject Re: Proposal for AOO test tool
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 13:21:59 GMT
Am 13.02.12 13:53, schrieb J├╝rgen Schmidt:
> On 2/13/12 12:55 PM, Ji Yan wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>    Recently, I'm thinking about how testing work should be done and
>> what the
>> procedure should followed under Apache OO structure. Before OO goes into
>> ASF, testing work was controlled by QUASTe and manual test cases
>> stored in
>> TCM but both tools were disconnected once Oracle donated OO to
>> Apache. Now,
>> it's time for us to think about how can we move on for testing.
>>    While within AOO 3.4, we store the manual scripts in wiki page,
>> it's good
>> place at this time, but should not be permanent. As it's hard to tell
>> test
>> status and collect testing data, also it has no connection with
>> automation
>> test tool.
>>    After review some tools, I find the "Test Link"[1], maybe the
>> proper tool
>> for us to manage testing work. If anyone has any suggestion on other
>> tools,
>> please let me know. The target is to customize and deploy it to OO
>> website. I'll move forward with this tool with no objection
>
> I took a quick first look on the demo deployment and I think it looks
> promising.
>
> I would definitely support such an approach and think it can be very
> useful to track our QA efforts more efficient in the future.
>
> It is probably a good idea to collect more information how this can be
> used for AOO and ideally we can collect some experience on a test
> installation.
>
> When we are sure that TestLink will be the best choice we have to work
> together with the infra structure team on a official deployment. We
> have to ensure that we have enough volunteers to maintain this
> software and the deployment (e.g. maintenance in general, security
> updates).
As I know, The ASF has no testcase management system at all. So maybe
there is a interest from other projects too. So it could be possible,
that Infra will roll out this (or a other tool) for all ASF projects,
like Pootle. So Infra should be involved here.

But the Question at all is, who use this tool. A tool alone brings
nothing, if you have no people who use it. For my point of view you
can't reflect the quality of AOO in such a tool. Because you can't cover
the functionality of Apache OpenOffice with manual tests.

For my point of view, it's better to tell the testers for each
millestone were the changes are, and wich functionality they should
check for bug. A serios tester write then a small test report. And this
we can manage over a wiki.

so I tend to give a -1 for this tool, because I fear that we have at the
and a tool, but not a sensefull testcase set, or we hav a big testcase
set and no one work on it.

But this is my personal option.

Greetings Raphael